- 300g self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 110g strong cheddar, grated, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1 egg
- 125ml milk
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper into a large bowl, add the cheese and mix together.
- Place the egg and milk in a jug, beat together then stir in the oil. Pour into the flour mixture and, using a spoon, mix until the dough comes together, adding a little extra milk if required.
- Turn the dough onto a work surface lightly dusted with flour. Using your hands, press to approx. 10mm thick. Use a round cutter to stamp out your scones, place onto a baking tray, sprinkle with the extra cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes.