For the cake
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 drops vanilla essence
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g butter
- 175g self-raising flour
Filling & Topping
- 250ml double cream, whipped
- 150g fresh strawberries
- 150g fresh raspberries
- 150g fresh blueberries
- Mix together the cake ingredients to begin creating your soft and yummy sponge
- Preparation is the key – be sure to grease and line the two tins with only the raised bases in, then divide the mixture between them.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 180 C / 350 F, then remove from the oven and leave to cool before carefully turning out onto a wire rack
- Fill one of the sponge wells with a generous layer of jam – we find strawberry or raspberry works best it’s really up to you.
- Place raspberries and blueberries on top of the jam, arranging them in neat, concentric rings.
- Fill the other sponge well with whipped cream then gently but firmly join the two together and you secret centre will disappear from view – for now.
- Spread the remaining cream on the top of the cake – buttercream is equally scrummy!
- Arrange more berries over the cream in any design you wish – we’ve gone for a Union-inspired pattern in celebration of all the Great British events of 2012.