- 10 white onions
- 3 litres water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 cups Demerara sugar
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- Peel and finely slice the onions.
- Add to a pan with the water and a bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer until the onions are very soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook over a low heat for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced by about two-thirds and a jam-like texture is obtained.
- Remove the bay leaves and season with rock salt.