- 250g plain flour
- 1tsp cocoa powder
- 1tsp freshly ground coffee
- 30g softened butter
- 25g sugar
- 100ml white wine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 600g ricotta cheese
- 150g icing sugar
- 25g chocolate chips
- 50g candied fruits, finely chopped
- olive oil for frying
- icing sugar to decorate
- To make the pastry, place the flour, cocoa powder, coffee, butter and sugar in a large bowl and mix well together. Add the wine a little at a time and mix well until the mixture forms a smooth, firm dough. Shape the pastry into a ball and wrap in clingfilm. Leave to rest for an hour.
- For the filling, place the ricotta and icing sugar in a large bowl and whisk until creamy. Fold in the chocloate chips and candied fruits. Set aside.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 3mm. Cut circles of about 7.5cm diameter and wrap around the tubular moulds, securing the edges with the beaten egg.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan or a fryer to 180°C. Deep fry the cannoli until golden brown, then drain on kitchen paper and gently remove the moulds, taking care as they will be very hot.
- Leave to cool before filling with the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
Panettone Christmas Bread and Butter Pudding
How to make the perfect Sticky Toffee Puddings
Peppermint Bark Ice Cream
Ooni’s Salted Caramel and Banana Pie
Cox’s Toffee Apple Crumble Cakes
Cinnamon Waffle Stack with Crunchy Peanut Brittle Ice Cream
How to make… the perfect Summer Berry Pavlova