- 500g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunky pieces (if desired)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 350g pearl barley
- 100ml white wine
- 1.5 litre hot vegetable stock
- 8-10 sage leaves
- 30g rocket leaves
- 20g fresh Parmesan shavings (or a vegetarian/vegan alternative)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / Gas 6. Place the butternut squash and peppers in a roasting tin, toss with 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil and cook for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in the casserole dish and cook the onion and garlic over a medium to low heat for 10-12 minutes, or until the onions have softened, but not coloured, stirring occasionally. Add the pearl barley and stir well until all the grains are coated with oil. Pour in the white wine, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes until the wine has been absorbed.
- Add the stock and sage leaves and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover with the lid and cook for 35-40 minutes without removing the lid (you may wish to check after 35 minutes). The stock will have been absorbed and the barley should be tender, but still al dente.
- Remove the sage leaves. Stir in the roasted butternut squash, red peppers, rocket leaves and Parmesan shavings. Garnish with more Parmesan if desired.
Cook’s note: The sage leaves give a lovely flavour when infused with the stock. For a stronger sage flavour add 1-2 leaves of finely chopped sage to the finished dish.
Tip: Other roasted vegetables would also work well in this recipe.
Courgette, Aubergine and Spinach Cannelloni
Red Pepper & Sweet Potato Beanburgers
Spiced Carrot, Chickpea & Cheddar Veggie Burgers
Two-Potato Cheddar & Parmesan Gratin
Spinach, Pepper & Tomato Tortilla Bake
Whole Roasted Cabbage Quarters with Sichuan Pepper, Soy, Sesame & Rice
The Most Indulgent Quick Cook Quiche: Broccoli, Gorgonzola, Chilli & Walnut
Crispy Gnocchi with Mushrooms, Squash & Sage