- 125g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 60ml milk
- 160g jam
- 300ml whipping cream
- Line our 12 Cup Mini Muffin Pan with paper cases.
- Combine butter, vanilla essence, sugar, eggs, flour and milk in a small bowl in an electric mixer beat on a low speed until ingredients are just combined. Increase speed to medium and beat for about 3 minutes, or until mixture is smooth and has changed to a paler colour.
- Drop heaped teaspoons of mixture into the paper cases. Bake in a moderate oven for about 15 minutes. Turn cakes out on to wire racks, top-side up to cool. Repeat twice, or until no cake mixture remains.
- Using a sharp pointed vegetable knife, cut a circle from the top of each cake then cut the circle in half again to make ‘wings’. Fill cavities with jam and whipped cream. Place wings in position on top of cakes with strawberry pieces and dust with a little sifted icing sugar, if desired.
TIP: Cakes are at their best made on day of serving. Once filled with cream, cakes should be refrigerated if made more than an hour ahead of time. Unfilled cakes can be frozen for up to 1 month.