- 70g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 50g Demerara sugar
- 25g butter, melted
- 300ml full fat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75g caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 300ml double cream
- 75g thick cut orange marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Combine the breadcrumbs, Demerara sugar and butter, spread onto a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice, until golden. Set aside.
- Heat the milk and vanilla extract until almost boiling then remove from the heat. Whisk the caster sugar and egg yolks together until pale, thick and creamy. Add to the warmed milk and mix thoroughly, return the pan to the heat and cook gently until the custard thickens enough to just coat the back of the spoon.
- Stir in the double cream then transfer to a large, shallow plastic container and freeze for 3-4 hours until set.
- Remove from the freezer and mash with a fork or potato masher to break up the ice crystals and soften the mixture. Stir in the cooked breadcrumb mix and the marmalade. Transfer to a deeper container and freeze for a further 2-3 hours until set. Remove from the freezer and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.