- 100ml warmed milk
- 1 tsp easy-bake dried yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 190g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- Golden linseed
- In a jug, combine the warmed milk with the yeast and sugar and leave to stand for 5 minutes. After that time, the mixture should have frothed up slightly, which shows the yeast is working.
- Sift the flour into the bowl of an electric stand mixer, add the salt and butter and mix well. Pour in the frothy yeast mixture and the egg yolk, and mix for 3-4 minutes. The dough will be a little sticky to start but should be soft and smooth after mixing. (A dough hook is not necessary for this as the mixture is quite sticky.)
- Lightly flour the base and sides of a large bowl, and turn the dough out into it. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for at least 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Lightly dust a worktop with flour, turn out the risen dough and knead for 2 minutes until smooth. Divide the mixture into 12 equal amounts, shape each into a round and place on a baking tray lined with parchment. Cover loosely with a sheet of lightly oiled cling film and leave in a warm place to rise again for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. To make the egg wash, mix the yolk and water in a small bowl and gently brush over the tops of the buns. Sprinkle the buns with golden linseed and bake for 12-14 minutes or until well risen, golden and firm underneath. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips: Heat the milk gently until it is just lukewarm, as boiling the milk could kill the yeast. If you don’t have an electric stand mixer, the dough can be made by hand. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the salt and rub in the butter until well mixed. Make a well in the centre, pour in the yeast mixture and egg yolk, and mix until you have a sticky dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 10 minutes until the dough feels smooth and not so sticky. Then continue with the recipe from step 3.
Tomato & Poppy Seed Mini Loaves
Hot Cross Bun Loaf
Easter Bunny Bread Rolls
Sticky Lemon & Pistachio Whirlybuns for the Remoska®
Hot Dog Buns
Cheddar Cheese Mini Loaf Scones
Chilli & Spring Onion Cornbread with Summer Herb Spread
Pressure-Cooked Cheddar, Leek & Spring Onion Savoury Bread & Butter Pudding