For the cookies
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 65g icing sugar, sifted
- 60g cornflour
- 125g plain flour, plus a little extra for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and icing sugar until just combined and smooth. Sieve the cornflour and flour together and gradually add to the butter mixture using a small palette knife. Don’t worry if it looks quite crumbly at this stage.
- Bring the mixture together with your hands to form a ball and knead very lightly until well combined. If you prefer, steps 2 and 3 can be done with a food processor or stand mixer.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until 3mm thick and cut out 10 hearts with a large heart-shaped cutter, re-rolling the dough as needed.
- Place the hearts on the baking trays, leaving a little room between each for spreading. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until just turning golden around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly on the baking tray before removing to a wire rack to cool completely
- To decorate, heat the apricot jam with a splash of water in a microwave on defrost for 1 minute until runny and smooth. Roll the black icing out on a surface lightly greased with white vegetable fat until 2mm thick.
- Using a smaller heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 10 icing hearts, re-rolling the icing as needed. If you don’t have a smaller shaped cutter, you can draw a smaller heart shape on a piece of baking parchment and use this to trace the shape. Using a clean pastry brush, lightly brush the underside of the icing hearts with the apricot glaze then carefully place one on top of each cookie.
- Place the Candy Melts in a heatproof bowl and heat in a microwave on defrost for 1 minute. Stir, then continue to microwave on defrost and stir at 30 second intervals until smooth and completely melted. Spoon the melted candy into an icing bag fitted with a fine writing nozzle and pipe your guests’ names or messages on top of the cookies. Wash the nozzle.
- Mix the icing sugar with enough water to form a pipeable icing then divide the mixture evenly between two bowls. Using a cocktail stick, colour one of the bowls of icing with pink colouring and the other with blue, adding a little at a time.
- Spoon the pink icing into an icing bag fitted with the clean writing nozzle and use to decorate the outside of five of the heart cookies. Wash the nozzle and, using a fresh icing bag and the blue icing, decorate the remaining five cookies.