- 250g unsalted butter, plus some for greasing
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 50g ground almonds
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100g blueberries
- 100g raspberries
- 75g blackberries
- Handful flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, to finish
- Butter and line a baking tray or small roasting tin, about 20cm x 30cm. Heat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C).
- Gently melt the butter in a large saucepan, cool for five minutes, add the sugar, vanilla and eggs then beat until smooth with a wooden spoon. Stir in the flour, ground almonds and salt.
- Top the mix into the tin, then scatter the mixture of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries evenly on top ─ that way each square of cake will have a bite of fruit.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds over, then bake for 60-70 minutes, covering with foil after 40 minutes.Test with a skewer: the middle should just have a tiny hint of squidginess, ─which will firm up once the cake cools.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then lift out onto a cooling rack. Once cold, dredge with icing sugar, then cut into squares.