- 2 medium beetroot, quartered
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 300g strong plain flour, plus extra to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Toss the beetroot in the oil and a little of the salt. Wrap tightly in parchment-lined foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 45-60 minutes until tender. Allow to cool, rub with kitchen paper to remove the skin and pure in a food processor.
- Add the eggs and extra yolk and process until combined. Add the flour and a tsp of salt then process until the dough just comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead for 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic, adding up to 2 tbsp of flour if the dough is sticky. Wrap tightly in clingfilm and chill for 1-2 hours.
- Cut the dough into eight pieces. Using a pasta machine, gradually roll each piece until you have thin sheets of pasta, dusting the pasta with flour if needed between each pass through the machine.
- Attach a tagliatelle cutter to the pasta machine, roll the pasta through it and then allow the pasta ribbons to dry on a rack for about 20 minutes before cooking.
- To cook, place the tagliatelle ribbons in boiling water for approx. 4 minutes.