- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large brown onions, thinly sliced
- 330g light brown sugar
- 375ml cider vinegar
- 3 large beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 tsp coarse cooking salt
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, stirring, for about 15 minutes or until softened and caramelised
- Add the remaining ingredients and, without boiling, cook over a high heat until the sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes until the beetroot is tender and the relish is thick.
- Carefully spoon the hot relish into hot, sterilised jars and seal. Label and date jars once cold.
Tip: Store in a cool, dark place for at least 3 weeks before opening and refrigerate once