- 1kg beetroot
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 500ml red wine vinegar
- 75g soft brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Place a large piece of foil on a baking tray and put the whole, unpeeled beetroots on top. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of the oil and wrap the foil into a parcel around the beetroots. Bake for 1½-2 hours, or until tender and softened. Cool, then peel and cut into small cubes.
- In a large saucepan, heat the remaining oil. Add the onions, carrot, celery and garlic and cook gently for 10 minutes until softened. Stir in the paprika, chillies, salt, vinegar, sugar and beetroot. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Spoon the mixture into a food processor or blender and blend for 2─3 minutes, until smooth.
- Pour into the sterilised bottles, seal and label.
Tip:The texture of this ketchup is quite grainy and may require further blending to achieve a smooth, glossy consistency. Unopened, it will keep for 3 months in a cool, dark place. Once opened, store in the fridge and use within 2 weeks.
Cook’s note: Delicious with burgers and meats of all kinds