- 1kg beef chuck steak
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 60g butter
- 10 baby onions (250g)
- 400g button mushrooms
- 3 bacon rashers (210g), chopped coarsely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 35g plain flour
- 250ml beef stock
- 250ml dry red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 3tsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- Cut beef into 3cm (1in) pieces. Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan cook beef in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
- Heat remaining oil and butter in a pan cook onions, mushrooms, bacon and garlic, stirring, until onions are browned lightly. Stir in flour stir over heat until mixture is browned.
- Remove from heat. Gradually stir in stock and wine stir over heat until sauce boils and thickens.
- Return beef and any juices to pan add bay leaves, sugar and oregano. Simmer, covered about 2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
Storage: Recipe can be made a day ahead and refrigerated, covered. Recipe suitable for freezing.
How to make… the perfect Lasagne with Sue Ashworth
How to make… the perfect Beef Wellington with Sue Ashworth
How to make… the perfect Beef Casserole with Horseradish and Parsley Dumplings with Sue Ashworth
Classic Goulash for Remoska Tria
Lamb, Aubergine & Orzo Casserole for Remoska Tria
Kicking Pork Burgers
Mexican Pull-Apart Pork