- 1kg beef chuck steak
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 60g butter
- 10 baby onions (250g)
- 400g button mushrooms
- 3 bacon rashers (210g), chopped coarsely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 35g plain flour
- 250ml beef stock
- 250ml dry red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 3tsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- Cut beef into 3cm (1in) pieces. Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan cook beef in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
- Heat remaining oil and butter in a pan cook onions, mushrooms, bacon and garlic, stirring, until onions are browned lightly. Stir in flour stir over heat until mixture is browned.
- Remove from heat. Gradually stir in stock and wine stir over heat until sauce boils and thickens.
- Return beef and any juices to pan add bay leaves, sugar and oregano. Simmer, covered about 2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
Storage: Recipe can be made a day ahead and refrigerated, covered. Recipe suitable for freezing.
Mexican Pull-Apart Pork
Barbecued American-Style Pork Ribs
Shredded Beef Tacos
Herby Toad-in-the-Hole with Red Onion Gravy
Wendy’s Barbecued Leg of Lamb
Mary Berry’s Beef and Ale Stew with Horseradish Spiral Dumplings
Joe Wicks’ Sweet Potato Shakshuka
Anjula Devi’s Pulled Lamb with Fiery Mint Chutney