- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1kg ripe plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 165g light brown sugar
- 125ml malt vinegar
- 80ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp coarse cooking salt
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about an hour or until the tomatoes are soft and the sauce has thickened. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Carefully blend the mixture, in batches, until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve into a large bowl, return to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Carefully pour the hot sauce into hot, sterilised bottles or jars and seal. Label and date jars once cold. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.