- 50g basil leaves
- 30g pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 30g Parmesan cheese or vegetarian alternative, grated
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 75ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- small squeeze of lemon juice, optional
Food processor method
- Whiz together the basil, pine nuts, Parmesan and garlic, and with the motor still running, pour in the olive oil until the pesto thickens. Season to taste and add a small squeeze of lemon juice.
- Pound the basil, pine nuts and garlic in a pestle and mortar. Turn the mixture into a bowl and stir in the Parmesan and olive oil. Season to taste and add a small squeeze of lemon juice.
Tip: Your pesto can be stored in the fridge in a lidded container. Top with a little olive oil to prevent drying.