- 1.5kg (3lb) firm apricots
- 500ml (¾pt) water
- 1.75kg (3½lb) sugar, warmed on a baking tray in the oven
- 25g (1oz) almonds, blanched, skinned and halved
- juice of 2 lemons
- Halve the apricots, remove the stones and cut across again if the apricots are large.
- Put the fruit into a preserving pan, pour in the water and the lemon juice.
- Simmer gently until the fruit is soft. Stir in the sugar and let it dissolve.
- Bring to a brisk boil, stirring slowly to prevent sticking.
- Put in the almonds and after 10 minutes test for setting. If the jam is not ready, continue to cook until setting point is reached.
- Skim if necessary. Pour into sterilised jars and seal.