For the potato cakes
- olive or coconut oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 12 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 10 curry leaves
- 4 large potatoes, boiled, drained and coarsely mashed, or 4 big spoons of leftover mash
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the avocado
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and destoned
- juice of 12 a lemon
For the quick cucumber pickle
- 12 a cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, bashed in a pestle and mortar
- a pinch of sugar or a squeeze of agave syrup
- grated zest and juice of 12 an unwaxed lemon
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and fry the onion for about 5 minutes, until soft and sweet. Add the mustard seeds and stand back while they pop. Scoop out a heaped tablespoon of the onion mixture and put to one side to cool. With the pan still on the heat, add the turmeric and curry leaves and fry for another minute or so, then put the whole lot into a bowl to cool slightly.
- Add the mashed potato to the onions, then season and mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 portions and shape them into 4 potato cakes. Put them into the fridge to chill while you do a couple of other little jobs.
- In another bowl, mash the avocados with the lemon juice (you can use a potato masher here), then stir in the tablespoon of the onion you set aside. Mix, then season well.
- To make your pickle, put the sliced cucumber into a bowl and add all the other pickle ingredients. Using your hands, scrunch the cucumber slices to get the flavours going.
- Now put your frying pan back on the heat. Take the potato cakes out of the fridge and fry them gently and carefully in a little oil for about 2─3 minutes on each side, until warmed through and crispy brown.
- Serve each dosa cake piled with the mustard seed, onion and mashed avocado and with a sprightly spoonful of pickle on the side.
Red Pepper & Sweet Potato Beanburgers
Spiced Carrot, Chickpea & Cheddar Veggie Burgers
Two-Potato Cheddar & Parmesan Gratin
Spinach, Pepper & Tomato Tortilla Bake
Whole Roasted Cabbage Quarters with Sichuan Pepper, Soy, Sesame & Rice
The Most Indulgent Quick Cook Quiche: Broccoli, Gorgonzola, Chilli & Walnut
Crispy Gnocchi with Mushrooms, Squash & Sage
Miso Aubergines with Tofu, Sesame & Chilli