- 200g whole dried black lentils (also called urad dhal or black gram)
- 100g dried kidney beans
- groundnut or coconut oil or ghee, for frying
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cardamom pods, split
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 12 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- a thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped (or 12 400g tin of chopped tomatoes)
- a small bunch of fresh coriander, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- First soak your lentils and beans in a deep bowl of cold water ─ overnight is ideal but a few hours will do.
- Next, heat a little oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions for 10─15 minutes, until sweet, soft and lightly browned. Add the cumin seeds, cardamom pods, turmeric, chilli powder, fennel seeds, garlic, ginger and tomato purée and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Drain the lentils and beans and add to the pan with the chopped tomatoes and 2 litres of cold water. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to a fairly gentle simmer, put the lid on and cook for 2─2 1/2 hours, until the lentils and beans are cooked and the liquor is thick, dark and deeply flavoured. Stir the dhal from time to time while it cooks, and top up with a little hot water from the kettle if it looks too dry.
- Once the lentils and beans are cooked through, mash about half of them to a paste, using a potato masher in the pan, then stir together to make the dhal super creamy.
- Scoop the dhal into bowls and finish with a little yoghurt, if you like, and a good pile of chopped coriander. Serve warm, with soft, fluffy naans or chapattis.
Spanakopita Lattice Pie
Roasted Butternut Squash, Courgette & Red Pepper Lattice Pie
All-Time Favourite Cheese & Onion Lattice Pie
Ooni’s Flame Cooked Courgette and Cherry Tomato Pizza
Ooni’s Green Pesto and Goats’ Cheese Pizza
Ooni’s Margherita Pizza
How to make… the perfect Risotto with Sue Ashworth
Spiced Sweet Potato & Red Pepper Bake for Remoska Tria