- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp mango powder
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium sized onion, diced finely
- 2 tsp pulped garlic
- 1 tsp pulped ginger
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp grated jaggery
- Small bunch of coriander, chopped
- Place a small dry frying pan on a low heat, add the key spices and fennel seeds, and warm for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, place in a pestle and mortar, grind to a powder and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan on a medium heat, add the asafoetida and allow to sizzle, then immediately add the onion and salt, and sauté until golden-brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, white wine vinegar, jaggery, the contents of the pestle and mortar and mango powder, then sauté on a low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and turn the heat to a high simmer, cook the tomatoes until they start to blister. Remove from the heat, add the fresh coriander and serve.
Spice for Life by Anjula Devi includes meat and fish recipes too and is published by Clearview Books. ISBN: 978-1908337-375