- 1 lb fresh or frozen chopped spinach
- 150 g baby new potatoes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Other Spices
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 2 tbs unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pulped garlic
- 1 tsp pulped ginger
- 2 fresh green chillies, pierced
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 140 ml water
- Sea salt to taste
- Small bunch of coriander, chopped
- Zest of one small lemon
- Place a sauté pan on a low heat, add the butter or oil and allow to warm, then add the asafoetida and allow to sizzle.
- Immediately add the key spices and warming spices.
- Mix well, then add the garlic, ginger and green chillies.
- Stir well and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach, potatoes, lemon juice, water and sea salt to taste.
- Stir, place the lid on the pan and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from the heat, add the fresh coriander and lemon zest, and stir.
Spice for Life by Anjula Devi includes meat and fish recipes too and is published by Clearview Books
Photography by Dan Jones. Priced at £25 and available from Lakeland and all good bookshops.
Beetroot & Goat’s Cheese Tartlets
Carrot, Courgette & Feta Savoury Flapjack
Chilli & Spring Onion Cornbread with Summer Herb Spread
The best supporting act goes to…
Anjula Devi’s Spicy Warm Roasted Tomato and Cumin Salad
Deliciously Ella’s Baked Avocado Fries
Anjula Devi’s Cauliflower Koftas
Anjula Devi’s Stir-Fried Asparagus with a hint of Ginger, Lime and Cumin