- 2 lbs mussels, cleaned and beards removed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 2 banana shallots, chopped finely
- 2 tsp pulped garlic
- 2 tsp pulped ginger
- 2 mild red chillies, finely sliced
- 1 tsp sundried tomato paste
- 1 small green mango, grated finely
- 2 tsp tamarind pulp
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 550 ml water
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp grated jaggery
- One small bunch of fresh coriander including stalks, chopped
- Heat the oil in large sauté pan over a low heat.
- Add the shallots and sea salt to taste, then sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the key spices, and sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, red chillies, sundried tomato paste and jaggery. Continue stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the mango and tamarind pulp, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, and water. Stir well, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, place the lid on the pan, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium, add the mussels, cook for 1 minute, then reduce to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the mussels have opened up.
- Discard any mussels that don’t open.
- Add the fresh coriander including stalks, and serve immediately.
Spiced Salmon & Spring Onion Fried Rice
Prue Leith’s Hot & Sour Soup with Prawns
Prue Leith’s Classic Paella with Seafood
How to make… the Perfect Fish Pie with Sue Ashworth
Fabulous Family Fish Pie for the Remoska Tria
Prawn & Crab Cakes with Lemon & Coriander Tartare Sauce
Thai Prawn Mini Bakes
Thai Salmon with Peanut, Lime and Chilli Crust for the Remoska®