- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/Gas 3. Grease the 3-Tier Mini Cake Pan Set with Cake Release.
- Cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time and add the vanilla extract. Sieve in the flour and stop mixing when the flour is just incorporated.
- Fill the tins three-quarters of the way up to the top – you may not need all of the mixture.
- Put all of the tins on a baking tray and place in the oven. Because the tins are different sizes, there will be a difference between baking times: the smallest cake will be ready after 15 minutes, the medium after 20 minutes and the largest after 25-30 minutes. To check that they are done, insert a cocktail stick or cake skewer into the centre of each cake – if it comes out clean with no trace of cake mixture on it then your cakes are ready to be removed from the oven.
- Trim away any domed tops from the cakes whilst they are still in the tins, then turn them out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, cover each cake with frosting, using a small palette knife to apply a thin layer all over. To create the sand effect, sprinkle the brown sugar over a flat tray and roll each cake in the sugar to coat. Stack the cakes on top of each other on a cake board or plate. Sprinkle extra brown sugar around the base of the cake.
- To make the shells, use modelling paste and a small amount of food colouring. Shape these into your favourite seashell shapes.
Tip: To get a marbled effect on the shells, knead in the colouring until only partly combined.