Bread or cake? The jury’s still out, but we all agree that this traditional German Christmas bake is simply delicious and you can make it in our Stollen Mould.
For the cake
- 350g strong white bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp easy-blend yeast
- 50g caster sugar
- 150ml milk, warmed until hand-hot
- 100g butter, softened, plus a little extra for greasing
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g sultanas
- 50g currants
- 50g dried apricots, chopped
- 50g glacé cherries, washed, dried and quartered
- 25g candied peel, chopped
- 25g blanched almonds, chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 175g marzipan
For the glaze
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
What You Do
- Sift 300g of the flour and the salt into a large bowl. Add the yeast and sugar then mix. Make a well in the centre and add the warmed milk, butter and egg. Stir the mixture until it is well combined and leaves the sides of the bowl cleanly. Add the remaining ingredients, except the marzipan, then knead for about 10 minutes on a surface dusted with some of the remaining flour until springy and elastic.
- In a large bowl combine 100g of the butter, 225g of the sugar and 3 of the eggs. Sift 200g of the flour with 1 tsp of the baking powder into the bowl then add the cocoa mix, cream and vanilla extract. Using an electric hand mixer, combine all the ingredients until smooth and well mixed.
- Return the dough to the bowl, cover in greased clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size; this can take up to 2 hours. Knead the risen dough on a surface dusted with the remaining flour until smooth and elastic then roll into a rectangle approx. 25 x 20cm
- Shape the marzipan into a long sausage, slightly shorter than the length of the dough, and place it in the centre then fold the dough over to enclose the marzipan. Transfer to a large greased baking sheet and cover with the Stollen Mould. Leave to rest in a warm place until doubled in size again. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5.
- Bake the stollen for 35-40 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Meanwhile, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and mix in the lemon juice. Spread over the stollen whilst still warm, using a palette knife, then allow to cool before serving.
Tip: The stollen will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.