Chilli & Spring Onion Cornbread with Summer Herb Spread
The warmth of fresh chilli and the cool of natural yoghurt combine to delightfully tasty effect in this easy-to-make US-inspired cornbread with herb spread. We recommend using our Lakeland 1lb Loaf Tin for perfect results.
Makes 1 loaf – approx. 10 slices
- 15g butter
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 150g fine polenta
- 50g plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 large egg
- 100ml milk
- 175g Greek-style natural yoghurt
Summer Herb Spread
- 75g Greek-style natural yoghurt
- 75g low fat soft cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5.
- Use a knob of the butter to grease the loaf tin. Melt the remaining butter in a frying pan and gently fry the spring onions and chilli for 2-3 minutes. Cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the polenta, plain flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda. In a large jug, mix together the egg, milk and yoghurt, beating until smooth. Add to the dry ingredients with the spring onions and chilli and mix together thoroughly but quickly.
- Immediately transfer the batter to the loaf tin. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown. Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- For the spread, mix the yoghurt, soft cheese, coriander and chives together. Serve with the corn bread.
Tip: Combine the corn bread ingredients quickly and lightly for best results.