Chetna’s Ultimate Chocolate Cake!
Try Chetna’s Ultimate Chocolate Cake recipe 🎂
“This is one of those very indulgent cakes, which will be perfect for a celebration or as a centrepiece at a party. I usually do very simple cakes but with different flavours. With this cake I take the love of chocolate to a different level, with all the amazing and delicious elements added to this cake with the mousse filling, ganache coating and caramel drizzle.”
For the cake
- 150g unsalted butter
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 50g melted dark chocolate
- 150g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda
- 100ml boiling water
- 100g sour cream
For the chocolate mousse
- 300g melted dark chocolate
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 200ml double cream, whisked to soft peaks
For the decoration
- 4 tbsp chocolate ganache
- 4 tbsp of Italian meringue
- 4 tbsp salted caramel sauce
- 2 tbsp crushed hazelnut praline
- few chocolates of your choice
- Whisk the butter and sugar in a bowl for 2 minutes until light and pale. Add the vanilla and eggs to this and whisk again. Now add the melted chocolate and mix.
- In another bowl put all the dry ingredients and mix well. In a jug mix the water and sour cream. Now add half the dry ingredients to the egg mix, whisk until combined, followed by half the liquid. Then add the rest of the dry ingredients and then the last of the liquid. Whisk it well for 2 minutes until combined well.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease and line 4 x 8 inch round cake tins with baking parchment. Now roughly divide the cake mix into the 4 tins, level and bake for 15-20 minutes or until done. Leave the cakes to cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the chocolate mousse. Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and creamy. To this add the melted chocolate and fold it in. Now add the whisked cream and gently fold that in too. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and add it to the cream mix a little at a time. Fold it all in without loosing too much air.
- Line a deep 8 inch cake tin with cling film. Place one of the cakes at the bottom and put a layer of the mousse. Repeat the same with all the layers, cover the cake tin with cling film and leave it to set in the fridge for 2-3 hours or best to leave it overnight to set.
- When you are ready to serve, pipe the chocolate ganache on the rim of the cake. Put the Italian meringue on top and brown it with a blowtorch. Now drizzle the caramel sauce on top and sprinkle some praline and finish the cake with some cut up chocolate. Enjoy Chetna’s Ultimate Chocolate Cake!
Take a look at Chetna’s Ultimate Chocolate Cake video!
“You can find the whole recipe video on my Youtube channel ‘Food with Chetna’ where I share a new recipe every week. It could be a curry one week and a cake the other, lots of delicious home cooking.”