Red Velvet Beetroot CakeFebruary 11, 2015
A beautifully moist cake perfect for Valentine’s day! Made with our My Kitchen Cook & Bake 20cm Loose-Based Deep Cake Tin
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 140g beetroot, peeled, boiled and grated
- 320g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 400g caster sugar
- 50g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 300g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp honey
- 125ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp red food colouring
For the frosting
- 100ml double cream
- 450g cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g icing sugar
- Handful of freeze-dried strawberries, optional
What You Do
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a 20cm cake tin with baking parchment.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice over the beetroot and set aside. Place the remaining cake ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. Stir in the beetroot and mix for 2 minutes until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 60-70 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place the ingredients into a bowl and beat until fluffy. Cut the cake in half widthways and spread a thin layer of the frosting on the bottom half.
- Place the top half of the cake back on and spread the remaining frosting all over the outside of the cake. Sprinkle on the strawberries, if using.