Keralan CabbageMarch 27, 2015
A gratifyingly fresh and healthy side dish made with in season vegetables and aromatic herbs and spices, including turmeric, cumin, chilli and coriander! As seen in our Spring 2015 iPad magazine, available to download now.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 12 curry leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 250g pointed spring cabbage, finely shredded or grated
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 green chillies, thinly sliced
- 100g fresh coconut, grated
- 2-3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
What You Do
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and chilli flakes and cook for 1-2 minutes until the seeds start to pop. Add the curry leaves and cook for 1 minute, then add the garlic, ginger and turmeric and cook for a further minute.
- Add the cabbage and carrot, stirring well. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes until the cabbage is tender. If it starts to stick, add a little water to prevent it burning.
- Stir in the chillies and coconut. Cook for 1 minute until heated through. Sprinkle with coriander before serving.