Hot Cross BunsMarch 1, 2016
Nothing says “Easter”, quite like a Hot Cross Bun!
For the buns
- 4 tsp dried yeast
- 55g caster sugar
- 250ml warm milk
- 600g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 60g butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 125ml warm water
- 110g currants
- 40g mixed peel
- 1 tbsp apricot jam, warmed & sieved
For the flour paste
- 75g plain flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 80ml water
What You Do
- Combine the yeast, sugar and milk in a bowl and whisk until yeast is dissolved. Cover the bowl and stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until the mixture is frothy.
- Sift the flour and cinnamon into a large bowl and rub in the butter. Stir in the yeast mixture, egg, water and fruit until well combined. Cover and stand the bowl in a warm place for 1 hour or until the mixture has doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide into 16 and knead into balls.
- Place the dough balls on 2 greased baking trays. Stand in a warm place for about 20 minutes until the dough has risen.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.
- To make the paste, combine the flour and sugar in a bowl, blend in the water and stir until smooth. Pipe crosses onto the buns using a piping bag with a small plain nozzle.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 180°C/350° and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Turn the buns onto a wire rack and, while still warm, brush with the jam.