Green Tomato Chutney
As an excellent gift (for yourself or others!) why not try our recipe for Chunky Green Tomato Chutney! Find more tasty preserving recipes in our Lakeland Preserves book.
- 2kg green tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 large brown onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large green apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 440g unrefined granulated sugar
- 625ml cider vinegar
- 150g sultanas
- 4 fresh long red chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp coarse cooking salt
What You Do
- Place all of the ingredients in a large pan and, without boiling, cook over a high heat until the sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 1½ hours until the chutney is thick.
- Carefully spoon the hot chutney into hot, sterilised jars and seal. Label and date jars once cold.
Tip: Store in a cool, dark place for at least 3 weeks before opening and refrigerate once open.
If you enjoy feasting on freshly made jams, curds, chutneys, pickles and bottled fruits all year long, what better way to stock up on all your favourites than by making your own? Take a look at our full preserving and pickling range, here.