German Apple CakeNovember 10, 2016
Try something a little different this Christmas with our German Apple Cake recipe made using our 23cm Springform Cake Tin!
- 75g butter, softened, plus a little extra for greasing
- 125g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the compote
- 500g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp custard powder
- 250ml double cream
- 250g mascarpone
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
What You Do
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/Gas 3. Lightly coat the tin with Cake Release. In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, 75g of the sugar, 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks, the flour, baking powder, milk and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining 2 egg whites until stiff. Gradually add the remaining sugar, folding into the cake mixture. Transfer to the tin and bake for 30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
- To make the compote, cook the apples, sugar and lemon juice in a small lidded saucepan on a low heat for about 10 minutes until soft and very smooth. Mix the custard powder to a paste with a little cold water and stir into the apples until thickened. Transfer to a small bowl and leave to cool.
- Lightly whisk the cream in a large bowl and fold into the mascarpone. Transfer the cooled cake to a plate, slice in half and sandwich with apple compote. Cover the whole cake in mascarpone cream. Place the large star from the Star Cookie Cutters on top and dust the cake with cinnamon. Chill and serve.