CHOCOLATE & MERLOT CUPCAKESNovember 28, 2016
What you need
- Lakeland 12 Hole Deep Bun Tin 12
- Cupcake Cases
- 12 Wilton Bottle Toppers
- Lakeland Professional Piping Set
For the cupcakes
- 125g plain flour
- 35g cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 100g granulated sugar
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 80g soured cream
For the icing
- 250ml Merlot wine
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 375g Icing sugar
- 50ml Merlot wine
What you do
- Preheat the oven to 160°CC/Gas 3. Line the bun tin with cupcake cases.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into In a medium bowl, combine the flour,. Add the cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and oil with an electric hand mixer, until combined. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract, then the flour mixture, alternately with the soured cream. Mix until just combined, then divide the mixture between the cupcake cases, filling about two-thirds full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until well risen and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove, then remove the cupcakes from the tin, and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, bring the red wine to the boil in a small saucepan. Cook over a medium to high heat for 10-12 minutes , or until the liquid has reduced to about a quarter. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric hand mixer for 2-3 minutes until soft. Gradually add sift in the icing sugar, beating well after each addition. Add the cold, reduced wine and beat on a medium speed until light and fluffy. Spoon the icing into a piping bag fitted with a star- shape nozzle (Star 3) fitted and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Cut the tip off the end of the Bottle Toppers. Place the cut opening in the wine and squeeze to fill. Insert the cut end into the iced cupcake. When ready to eat, squeeze the top of the Bottle Topper to infuse the cupcake with wine.