Chocolate and Cherry TartsOctober 1, 2015
Inspired by GBBO’s chocolate week? Make Chocolate and Cherry Tarts!
What You Need
- 75g plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 85g butter, diced
- 85g caster sugar
- 3 egg yolk
FOR THE FILLING
- 350g fresh cherries
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Kirsch
- 85g ground almonds
- 250g dark chocolate, roughly broken
- 225g whipping cream
What You Do
- To make the pastry, place the flour and salt in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs then stir in the sugar. Make a well in the centre, add the yolks and use your fingers to mix and bring the mixture to a soft dough, adding a little water if needed. Shape into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, begin making the filling. Reserve 12 cherries to decorate, stone the rest and place into a pan with the sugar and kirsch. Simmer until tender then set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.
- Lightly flour a work surface, roll out the pastry and cut 4 circles to fit the tartlet tins. Transfer to the tartlet tins, prick the bases with a fork and bake blind for 7-8 minutes or until pale and golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Place the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and melt over a pan of simmering water. Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water. Dip the bases of the reserved cherries into the chocolate, and place onto a sheet of baking parchment to set.
- Heat the cream in a small pan until almost boiling, then pour over the remaining melted chocolate, stirring until smooth and glossy. Leave to cool until slightly thickened.
- Divide the cherry mixture between the pastry cases, top each up with the chocolate ganache, leave to set slightly then decorate with the reserved chocolate cherries.