Pork Belly with Sticky Chinese GlazeFebruary 19, 2015
Forget the takeaway and Celebrate Chinese New Year with our Twice-Cooked Melting Pork Belly with Sticky Chinese Glaze!
- 1.25kg pork belly
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & crushed
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled & crushed
- 2 star anise
- 3 spring onions, white & green separated
- 4 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 spring onions, sliced lengthways, to garnish
- 1 red chilli, sliced, to garnish
What You Do
- Place the pork, garlic, ginger, star anise, spring onions, rice wine or sherry and 3 tbsp soy sauce into a large pan, cover with hot water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 1½ to 2 hours, turning the pork once or twice to ensure even cooking. Once tender, remove from the heat and discard everything except the pork.
- Preheat the oven to 215°C/420°F.
- Remove the skin and a little of the fat from the pork then place on a parchment-lined roasting tray. Mix together the honey and 2 tbsp soy sauce and pour over the pork. Cook in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, turning often, spooning the glaze over until glossy.
- Slice and serve garnished with the sliced spring onions and chilli.
Tip: To make spring onions curly for garnishing, slice and place in a bowl of cold water.