Berry & Apple Crumble-Topped TartletsSeptember 1, 2017
Ready or not, autumn is here! Make the most of the season with our Berry & Apple Crumble-Topped Tartlets
For the pastry:
- 175g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 85g butter, chilled and diced
- 15g caster sugar
- Cold water
For the filling:
- 1 Bramley apple, approx. 300g, peeled, cored and diced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 25g unsalted butter
- 40g caster sugar
- 100g blackberries
- 50g raspberries
For the crumble:
- 60g plain flour
- 30g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 30g caster sugar
- 50g ready-made granola
- To make the pastry, sift the flour into a bowl then add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and enough cold water to bind to a soft dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Cut the pastry into 4 equal pieces and roll each out on a lightly floured surface until large enough to line one of the tartlet tins. Trim off any excess pastry. Place on a baking tray, line each pastry case with baking parchment, fill with ceramic baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and baking beans and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- To make the filling, place the apple in a saucepan with the lemon juice, butter and sugar and heat gently until the butter has melted. Simmer for 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until apple has softened slightly and is well coated. Add the blackberries and raspberries and cook for a further minute until the apple takes on a pink colour. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the crumble topping, sift the flour into a bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until you have a coarse crumble texture. Stir in the sugar and granola.
- Divide the fruit filling evenly into the tartlet cases and top each generously with the crumble topping, making a slight mound in the centre. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crisp and golden and the fruit juices are starting to bubble up through the topping. Serve immediately.
Tip: The filling can also be made using frozen apple and red fruit mix – defrost and drain well then add 2 tablespoons of caster sugar. No need to pre-cook.