Apple Sponge TartSeptember 28, 2015
Just one slice is certain to convert anyone into a fruit flan fan…
What You Need
- 160g plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 80g butter, diced
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp cold water
FOR THE FILLING
- 85g butter, softened
- 85g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 85g ground almonds
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 dessert apple, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp smooth apricot jam
What You Do
- To make the sweet pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and egg yolk and, using a round-bladed knife, stir in 3 tbsp cold water, or enough to bind to a soft but not sticky dough. Turn the pastry out onto a lightly floured surface and knead very lightly until smooth. Wrap in cling film, then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas 3 while the pastry is chilling. Roll the pastry out on a floured surface to a 30cm circle, 3mm thick. Line the Perfobake tin with the pastry using your rolling pin to carefully lift it into place.
- Press the pastry into the sides of the tin, then trim off any excess and lightly prick the base with a fork.
- To make the filling, cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy, then gradually add the eggs a little at a time and beat well after each addition. Stir in the almonds and cinnamon and mix until smooth.
- Spread the almond mixture over the pastry base, then arrange the apple slices on top in rings, starting from the outside of the tart and working into the centre. Place the tin on a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until the filling is set, golden brown and rises up when pressed in the centre. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Warm the apricot jam, then gently brush over the top of the tart to glaze. Best sliced and served while still warm.